Wednesday, March 25, 2009

whatsoever things are true.


Went to a student exhibition at Cooper Union tonight, called Whatsoever Things Are True. I was impressed. Thought student my age, at my level, only did one book, perhaps a cd cover, or an identity and some posters for their final major project - tops (at least that's the world I come from). But no. These Cooper kids are insane. Four students managed to fill an entire room full of clever, amazing pieces of art. Books, zines, t-shirts, posters, photographs, sketches, drawings, random charts of things. And all of it had been produced pretty much since September. It wasn't lame, lazy and meaningless graphic design bullshit, as you would have expected if you put ordinary design students in a room and forced them to create a large amount of awesomeness in a short time. A lot of the stuff that they showed had freakin' awesome content. I loved the book about angry notes that people leave behind to co-workers, flat-mates and general people doing generally pain-in-the-ass things. I also loved the chart showing the romantic relations of the O.C. And of course I loved the dinosaur influence, made by Rachel Matts, an ex intern of Paul's. It just made me beat myself up a bit more for not knowing about Cooper Union before I wasted 3 effing years in the a-hole of Britain. Getting accepted to Cooper is dificult however, since it's for free and all, it's like getting the Nobel Price for Graphic Design.

No comments: