Thursday, March 12, 2009

watchmen.


Went to see Watchmen yesterday with Mark and his buddies. It was freakin' long, almost 3 hours, contained some very graphic killing scenes, and felt like it never wanted to end just to not disappoint the fans of the graphic novel, which it's based on. Overall I liked it. Just like in 300, done by the same director, it was shot in a very special kind of way, very true to the style in the graphic novels. And I liked the way that it was almost a parody of itself, holding on to the post-modern slogan of "it's all a joke". The sexiness and the macho manners was doing sort of the same thing, which could have been laughable, but was still quite cliché and boring. When will superheroes ever stop talking in deep mysterious voices for instance? And when will the superhero woman stop being a Xena, warprincess character and sleep with all the guys in the superhero squad?
I loved the 80's retro feeling in the movie by the way, and espcially the scene where one of the characters look through some secret disquettes with classified information. Disquettes, for christ's sake! That, on its own, made the film worth watching. But the story also left me very confused, and there were just too much stuff that I didn't quite understand. Quite deep and heavy shit. Probably not what most people would expect from a superhero movie, I guess. People expect good looking men, dressed up in tights, flying by an oversized American flag, with a screaming crowd watching him defeat the super-villain. I think that the superhero movie-trend is taking a new turn, they are turning over the the bad side. The villains are now the cool guys, and the superheroes are the nerds and geeks who doesn't get laid. No wonder people loved the Joker in Batman. Anyway, Graham probably knows this stuff better than I do, so I should just stop analysing right now.
I just have to mention that my little fascination for the, now very fashionable, triangle shape in all sorts of graphics played a part in this movie. I'm beginning to wonder if that is somehow linked to post-modernity and an Egyptian empire conspiracy. The more I think of it, the more it fascinates me, because every fucking design student at the moment seem to use this shape as a prominent element in their work. Very strange. Very interesting. If I ever write another dissertation, you know what it will be about.

2 comments:

Bengt said...

Jag väntar nog tills de gör en svensk version med Micke Persbrant i huvudrollen.

Rushe Berisha said...

It is very fun to do though, triangles mmm. It has a very symmetric feel to it, and it appeal to us. Have fun! ;)