Friday, March 6, 2009

snapshots, dunkin and mr maher.


My adventures in the big apple continues, and I keep waking up every morning with the feeling of being extremely lucky. It's true what my dad commented in the previous entry, that I shouldn't feel bad about the students' ass-kicking a couple of nights ago. I know I can be just as good, or better than them. I just happened to attend a very crappy university in the shithole of northen England, that made me lose all kind of motivation and ambition. Now, however, it's back alright. Every morning on the subway I have to find something to do. Something to read, something to write or draw for the sake of my creativity. I'm not one of those persons who spend my two communiting hours per day, by sleeping it away. I have to do something. So lately I've started taking secret snapshots of people sitting opposite me, with my plastic Diana camera. Sometimes I'm afraid someone will stand up and say "hey, are you takin' my picture, bitch!" and then put a gun to my face, but so far nobody has seemed to notice. I just act cute and pretend I have a new toy in my lap, looking at all the settings and then - "oops! Did I click off a picture?" After all, who would want to put a gun to someone who looks like a 16-year old. That's what my homestay "mum" guessed last night. For Christ's sake - I know! I think I will start to lie about my age from now on, because nobody believe me anyway.
Whatever, the days at Paul's studio are great. I learn so much. And with the number of projects we have now, I can't afford to be lazy. I don't think I've been this motivated in years. I really enjoy being here in New York, even though it's cold. The routine of stopping by Dunkin Donuts before work, coming into the studio with a take-away coffee (the coffee from the homestay is really more like hot, brown milk than anything else) makes me feel I'm a tiny bit cool after all.
A lot of people might say it's a bit corny and morally wrong, but I love USA. Not because I think it's perfect and ideal in any way. But perhaps because I know it's not. It's politically messed up and Jesus-camp-insane, people-kill-eachother-everyday - dangerous and all. But I happen to like inperfect things. I think it was the "Design Dialogues" book, where someone said that every generation has to find something to fight against. Perfect societies are therefore quite boring, in my opinion. No wonder I don't live in Sweden anymore. Bill Maher is a comedian who is heavily into dissing Republicans and religious freaks over here. I first saw him in his movie Religilous, which I think everyone should see. It's hilarious. But apparently he has his own tv-show as well, and it's quite the thing here. He makes fun of conservatives and religion in a very intelligent way. I totally dig him.

No comments: