Tuesday, March 3, 2009

the snowstorm and evening of awe.


This is where I'm staying!

As I got dressed this morning I pulled on some tights underneath my jeans, thinking it might become too hot and sweaty later on. But as soon as I stepped outside it seemed as though the cold attached itself to my legs, like sharks to a bleading animal. It stung like nothing I've felt in years. By living in England one is spared from these kinds of sufferings. The couple of hundred meters to the subway was horrible, and when I got off on 14th Street it got even worse. There was, as previously forcasted, one foot of snow. It was a fucking snow storm! And today I was an earlybird. Waking up an hour earlier than I thought, and arriving one hour earlier than Paul. So there I was, paralised and frozen, hiding at Dunkin Donuts nextdoor.
Coming into Paul's studio was all cool though. I thought I'd be nervous about it, but I honestly wasn't. Not one bit. He gave me a project right away; to redesign a book cover for a book called Who Would Have Thought It? which is a satire about hispanish heritage in the US. So fucking ironic...
In the afternoon Paul asked if I wanted to tag along to meet his students, and that sounded way cool of course. We went to his wife's design company's studio called Number Seventeen (they have done the title sequence for Dharma & Greg for instance). There were six students there, all showing their ongoing projects. Sort of like their final major projects I assume. And damn... I suddenly feel so full of shit, like I don't deserve to even be here. These guys were awesome! They had such amazing ideas, fun concepts, was so motivated and ambitious... man, that was both very inspirational and ass-kicking. I totally suck. One girl, for instance had started this website where you can send items you wish to get ridd of in your life. Something that reminds you about something painful in your past. She has actually started up this service where she goes and destroys your item, kill it, and then you reseave a certificate saying your item is dead. I totally dig her mothods of killing them. They ranged from drowning the item, to shoot it with a gun, to feed it to aligators. I sort of arranged with her to kill Chocolate for me. She suggested burning, because it would be the most painful. But I personally like the aligators, haha.

No comments: