Monday, March 2, 2009

stina, the bad-packer.


I arrived at Newark international airport last night. The first impression was a little bit freaked out. Had to wait for an hour for my host family to come pick me up, and while I was waiting I was shocked by the fact that there were so many hespanish people around me. Locos, mamasitas, papasitos and white trash latinos speaking rapidly in the ugliest language ever invented. I have probably never felt so racist ever. Or maybe I had just not slept at all since Friday morning...
Anyway, eventually I was picked up and driven to the house. The hosts seemed very nice, very talkative and caring. The room is small and cold but quite nice, I don't think I will spend too much time there anyway, there's a nice kitchen and a nice tv-hang out room, where I think I'll spend more time. There are 6 more guests staying here. Three girls and one guy from Germany, one girl from Korea and one from France. Today I woke up at 8, local time, had American pancakes and coffee, which my host-dad had prepared. He also told me and the Germans about his time in Poerto Rico, where he tried to be a coffee farmer. He told us how the whole process of coffee making happens. Then I was, all of a sudden, part of the Germans' travelling plan around the city, so I tagged along.
It was snowing as we stepped outside. I thought about my warm winter jacket, my steady Nike shoes, my knitted scarf and thumb gloves, which all didn't make it past our front door at Belah Crescent. I am by far the worst packer in the world. Needless to say I frooze my butt off, and couldn't think of too much else.
The Germans and I went to Chinatown first, which is actually a whole town, not just a street. We went shopping around in cheap stores, looking at bullshit for some murderous freezing hours. Then we had an expensive vegetarian dinner. After that we made our way to Soho and 6th Avenue to take a stalker picture of Paul Sahres office. The best part of the day was when we went for coffee and an amazing brownie at the same street. Awesomeness in a nutshell.
After that we went to Rockerfeller Center and made an unecessary detour up the Top of the Rock to take some bad photos and freeze some more. I met a couple from York and discussed the 911 conspiracy theory for a while. They thought I was American. I've discovered that the American accent is very easy to immitate, perhaps the New York accent in particular. It's super easy to understand because they speak so goddamn clear. Some people speak so clear it makes them seem retarded. I hope I don't come across as retarded.
We came back to the house in Bronx around 9.30. By then it was snowing hard and so cold I just wanted to scream. Inside, there was dinner prepared for us and it tasted awesome. Now I'm gonna crawl under 4 layers of blankets and hopefully wake up to a warmer tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mark Adamson – Graphic Design said...

Rockefeller Center! Ice Rink! Awesome!