Saturday, March 21, 2009

everything needs a skeleton.


When I think about it, I realise that everything in my life is depending on structure, some sort of skeleton. In the morning I'd do portraits of strangers in secret, and I'd start off by doing the rough anatomic lines of the person's body-shape and posture, with a graphite pen, before I add the permanent lines. That's one structure. The other is knowing how to do my work. I need to know how to research, then brainstorm, then be able to tell another person about my ideas, then do them quickly. And by doing, I need a whole other set of structures. I need to know how programs work, I need to know about typography and how things sit well together. Even though the life of a creative person is influenced by loving what you do and have fun and all that, I would be pretty lost if I didn't have some sort of spine at least. I hate when people say that graphic design is their passion. For me it's like having a needy boyfriend. You love him extremely much only sometimes, but a lot of the time he's just asking for things from you and don't give much back. I'm not saying that graphic design should be fossil boring, only that it can be what holds together things in your life. I don't always love it, but it is my skeleton.