Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"let's talk in 20 years then".


Today was yet another cold day. It has reached the point to where I have a constant shiver and stingy feeling of icy blood through my veins, which makes me freeze even when I shouldn't. I had completely forgot about these kinds of agonies. Last time I had them must have been in high school, when I bought sneakers for the winter and refused to admit it was a bad decision, because they looked cool. But instead I had to wear 5 layers of socks inside them. Today I wore 5 layers of shirts underneath my light jacket. But enough about the nagging...
The internship is going well. Paul gave me another assignment for a book cover today. This one is a bit more psycological and has not been released before, as appose to Who Would Have Thought It? which was first released in the late 1800's. This one is called A Good Talk and investigates the science and social joy of conversations. Having read a few chapters, I'd say it's pretty interesting and funny. There are certainly depths in both projects that I'm doing now, which I'm really happy about. I wouldn't like doing something that doesn't have intelligent content.
On my lunch break I ran into (or, actually, more or less stopped by) a guy who wanted to sit down and have a talk with me about how fucked up this country is. When I was obviously busy, he turned and said "Ok, let's talk in 20 years then, if I'm still around and alive". I wonder if the fucked-up-ness referred to the Republican Party, gang violence or some sort of conspiracy theory.
And today I got lost in the subway for the first time. Spent about 2 hours trying to get home, going to Queens, waiting for eternities in Harlem and then stepping out at a different exit, which made it harder for me to locate the way to the house. When I got back, my host family watched tv and the dad, David told me about when he was an extra in some movie with Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. The weird thing about this home, or no, not exactly weird, but unusual and unfamiliar, is that it works like a hostel where people come and go, but at the same time you are really part of the family. The host mum Elizabeth is always checking in on us when someone's in the kitchen, just to chat. It's very nice actually. I haven't felt lonely for one second.

1 comment:

Bengt said...

It is fun to read about your adventures in the US. It really warms my heart to hear about your new "family", and the assignments you get from Paul. Yesterday you wrote about the students who were so very talanted and well educated, at least in you eyes. Don't bother, I think they see the same things in you. You should be proud of yourself. I'm very proud of you and rightfully so.