Tuesday, March 23, 2010

video blog 3: melbourne zoo


Last Saturday I went to the Melbourne Zoo with an old friend. It was a really lovely day and a beuatiful park filled with all the animals you wanna see (and some that you don't wanna see, like effing snakes). My favourites were the gigantic bird with killer claws (oh, dinosaur-chills) and the platypus. The last one also came with an awesome 11-year old girl, rapping facts about the animal as if she was reading a book; "When Europeans first came to Australia and discovered the platypus, they thought it was a freak of nature. But it's actually perfectly adapted to the river environment. They have a tale like a beaver, legs like an otter, a bill like a duck, they lay eggs but breast-feed their young, and the males have venumous spurs on their hind legs that can kill a human". Impressed as I was I asked if perhaps the platypus was her favourite animal. "No, I have plenty of favourite animals, such as raptiles and birds". "Oh, really, that's cool. Did you know that birds are actually the decendants of dinosaurs?", I tried in hopes of impressing her right back. "Actually, the closest now living relative to the dinosaurs are the turkey", she replied. Snap! Oh, well... I guess you learn something new everyday. For sure, that girl should work at the Melbourne Zoo. She would make an excellent tour guide.

No comments: