Thursday, March 11, 2010

square one.


So, I've been away from home for over a week now. But not really away from home, I guess, just establishing a new home somewhere else. Over here. Down under. I went to the beach today in St Kilda. Walked barefoot by the shore. Watching out for irukandji of course. The sun was shining but the wind blew pretty hard and a little cold. My hair flew all over the place. My mind too. I cannot believe this is the city I live in now. A city of palm trees, kite surfers, board walks and endless beaches. A city where I can smell the salty ocean and have to wear sunglasses with extra strong UV protection. Is all this really for me? Don't you have to be top of the class, vice president in a club, coming from a rich family or sharing some common friends with Oprah Winfrey to live like this? I suppose not. I'm just effing fortunate.
The rest of my walk was composed by Fever Ray, which somehow fit in perfectly, even though she sings about snow a lot. The first track on my playlist, "Coconut", reminded me about old history documentaries about the stone age, where the narrator talks about the early, primitive human race in caves. I saw stones and rocks, fire and fur, a bird flying in the sky before my eyes. I thought about how early humans started somewhere with nothing and throughout time developed into what we are now. It's sort of what I'm doing now, equipped with a Mac of course, but still starting from square one. And it's a pretty awesome square.

No comments: