Wednesday, October 28, 2009

help! a bear.


While looking through an old folder of drawings I found this bear. It's a typical post summer camp drawing where I'm trying to revive some sort of non-existent memory of how it was like at camp. Think I felt super guilty for not doing enough drawings that summer. I never saw a bear, only thought I heard one outside my cabin one night. I imagined being eaten alive by one a lot though. Horror stories about bears were very popular among staff members. Also, I had just seen the documentary Grizzly Man prior to my trip, which is a tragically funny story about Timothy Treadwell - a grizzly maniac who lived with the bears in Alaska for 13 summers until one of them had enough and ate him. That made me look at bears in that grown-up kind of way, you know when you no longer can see anything cute and cuddly and Teddybear-ish in their appearence. I remember walking 500 yards alone at night to the highway a couple of times, making as much noise as I could to scare off the bears. That was freaky.

No comments: