Wednesday, February 10, 2010

a bit of nostalgia #2.


Let's move forward in time and discover the next lesson in my musical developement. These guys are probably seriously hated by tons of people. Let me just tell you that I'm not one of them. I was 11 and heard this song on the Swedish pop chart program Voxpop. It was just before the summer holidays between 4th and 5th grade, the summer of exceptional heat and warming sun, and it was just like something clicked. I never had a crush on Taylor (I probably agreed with eveyone that they all did look like girls) but I did have a massive crush on this song. On our family's roadtrip to France that summer I listened patiently for the song to appear on the radio. And each time it did it was like every cell in my body wanted to smile. I think I fell in love with music from here on. I abandoned my anti-CD attitude (what the hell was so wrong with tapes?) and bought a CD player so that I could buy "Middle of Nowhere". The album smelled sweet and wonderful (not even today have I owned an album smelling so significant). I spent ours reading the lyrics, dreaming away in every song. I wished I was part of Hanson. Every day after school I came home to listen to the album over and over, pretending to play piano while I was doing my homework. It was too bad I was given the wrong musical instrument to play back then, I would probably have rocked my socks off if I had played guitar, keyboard or drums.

No comments: