Tuesday, April 7, 2009

i'm not done with you, nyc!


Yesterday morning I was the one to make pancakes (and by doing that also set off the fire alarm). Had breakfast in the backyard with Eva. Then we went to Central Park. I was meaning to go the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which was where we said goodbye. But when I got there the sunny and warm weather screamed for me, and so I just couldn't waste a day indoors, and went to the park instead. The place was full of people enjoying the sun. It was such a perfect day. I talked to strangers, photographed old couples, random people and a girl named April with yellow flowers in her hair. I went for a Ben&Jerry ice cream and am 90% sure I saw Peter Jöback (famous Swedish musical artist). I never wanted the day to end.
But sadly it did. So I hugged everyone goodbye and packed my stuff into the homestay car. As we went through the Bronx and over the bridges to Newark Airport, New Jersey, I saw the sun set and day-dreamed about doing a real roadtrip in the States one day. Made me want to screw uni and just go roadtripping asap. I couldn't help but falling in love with this place, with New York and its surroundings, with the atmosphere. Five weeks and so many adventures; I've lived through a snowstorm without a winter jacket, I've visited a hobo's shed, I've delivered mail all over the city, I've joined Greenpeace, I've learnt how to play foosball and how to smoke a cigar. And I've met so many people; design geniuses, people who wish they were design geniuses, new friends, a hundred students, great teachers, hippies, human rotweilers, weirdos, stalkers, world record complainers, unexpected sweethearts, papparazis and Jennifer Aniston (I never actually met her, but saw her from a distance).
As I got back to Carlisle and unpacked my luggage, I realised I had forgot a few things at the homestay. Kind of like a subconscious way of saying I have to go back. As if cheesy bits of me are still in that city. I'm not done with New York. Far from it. And I'll do my best to be back as an ever better designer, kicking even more ass in a soon future. I can't wait.

No comments: