Sunday, August 15, 2010

sia sia sia... how could you?


I got really excited when I heard Sia was releasing a new album. Expected awesome awesome greatness. But a few weeks later I heard the new album "We Are Born" at a party and all of a sudden it felt like the party should be filled with baloons and cake and kids drawing butterflies with crayons on the wall. It's ridiculous! I really wanted to like this album. I mean, I'm not against the upbeat change from her previous melancholic pieces. I think it's good that the girl is happy, because she's a very fun-loving person with the energy to carry some dancable tunes. But it's just not right. It doesn't fit. It's like she's high on mushrooms or something and party all night long with the smurphs. There's no depth at all. Just high pitched noise polluted in autotune. I think I know what she's trying to do, she's trying to be hip with the indie peeps, slapping some bass, grooving away with some killer beats. Because that's what people want these days. People want music that has computer skills and attitude. That's how you get played in stores like Urban Outfitters and General Pants. Sadly enough, Sia is more like New Look or Cotton On; the cheaper version, the less daring alternative. I guess that's what happens when you realise that you're great and can work with whoever you want - you just try to make yourself greater than great and end up being something you're not. I'm sorry Sia, but this is not awesome.

No comments: