Saturday, February 26, 2011

swinburne, here i come.


Crazy, life-changing things can happen in a matter of days. Just about two weeks ago I found out that the deadline for the Master of Design course at Swinburne University of Technology was on February 16. This gave me about 5 days to prepare a pdf portfolio. Normally I would have just given up and not even bothered the stress. But this time I had a very motivating boyfriend by my side who told me I was better than good enough, and puched me to apply. So I worked by ass off for the application and handed it in in person a few days later. Then a week passed. My hopes for staying in this country were not very bright. But then, when I was on my way home from the city, I received a phone call. The person on the other end told me I had been eccepted to the course. When I hung up I could feel my face radiate such happiness I could not controll myself. I wanted to kiss and hug every single person on the tram. I called my boyfriend emidiately and then Mikaela, who were equally as ecstatic. Then I jumped off the tram outside Spudbar (where I work) to let everyone, anyone know that I had done the impossible, that I had been accepted to study Master of Design. My work-buddie Rick were just as happy; "So this means you don't have to leave - that's AWESOME, mate!". The next couple of days were filled with stressful paperwork, talking to the right people, filling out the right forms, applying for loans, going through medical examinations and even x-ray scans. And finally, yesterday, I managed to enrol at uni. I have still things to do, but the worst is definitely over. Now I can finally focus on getting my Masters. You have no idea what a relief it is to be able to do that. You have no idea what a luxury it is to be able to study exactly where you want to study, to dedicate 1,5 years to exactly what you want to do. For many people, I reckon, studying is something that you just do because everyone else does it and it's part of how we live our lives. For me it means the world. I can finally take back what I felt I lost in confidence and skills while doing my Bachelor in England. I can finally study with a clear and mature focus on what I want to learn. And this time I will study somewhere where I want to live, at a place where I'm inspired and motivated. So, the professional development of Stingosaurus continues... First class starts on Monday. Let's see what happens from there on.

No comments: